Saturday, December 31, 2011

Trash Day and New Beginnings

I love Wednesday morning, merely because it's Trash Day. Our family can um, does accumulate an unsightly amount of garbage throughout the week and Trash Day is just plain liberating. Sadly, there's been more than one occasion when the boys forgot to take the cans to the curb on Tuesday night. Those bleak, dark mornings when I open my eyes and hear the screech of the trash truck leaving my col-de-sac without my junk, chaining me to seven more days with an ever growing mound of waste... heartbreaking.

The same emotions apply to New Year's. The opportunity to step over the threshold of 2012, without the failures and shortcomings of 2011, is glorious!

My failure in past resolutions has been my focus to become what I am not. Thus, burying myself under more guilt and disappointment. Because really, I don't want to end my love affair with Coca Cola.

This year's resolutions is different. I promise.

In 2012, I will just be me. Wife. Mama. Daughter. Sister. Friend.

You'll find me at home, making memories.

It's going to be a challenge. I've been distracted from my own life for a long time, present... but not available. So, here's to longer kisses, bedtime stories, recipe swapping, coffee drinking, game playing, long walks, family dinners, laughter, mess making......and all things found at home.

I can't afford to miss this.

3 comments:

  1. Trash day is practically a holiday around here. I want to be in your home in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Reagan, what I needed this morning, because these are the very things that make up my day. And I really don't even pretend to resolve to end my love affair with Diet Coke or coffee. :) You are a first-rate writer. Hope you do lots of that in the year to come. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete