Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Real Deal; Authentic Friendship

I found this article written by Ann Voskamp while blog searching the topic of friendship. It is an absolute must read! You know, I believe all women are on a journey in search of authentic friendship. We often accept pseudo- friends in lieu of the real deal....Maybe, the truth is we are afraid of the real deal. Keep it simple, keep it surface. Put on a pretty smile, cute clothes, and go out with the girls...Make sure you post a ton of pictures on Facebook, to keep up appearances. All the while, your kids have gone crazy, your marriage is in the tanker, and you can barely get out of bed.

Authentic friendship takes you way beyond Friday night. It's goes deep..... I don't believe it can exist outside of Christ. It's a gift. It doesn't drown your worry with a bottle, it bathes your sorrow in prayer.

Recently, my heart has been heavy for one of my dearest friends. When my boys were babies she taught me how to pray for them. Not simply the "Lay me down to sleep" prayers, but prayers for their souls. I will never forget... Now, we have half the country in between us, and she is alone and hurting. I'd drive through the night if she needed me to, I'd scoop her and her beautiful babies up and take them home with me..... A late night call  a few weeks ago, and prayers for her everyday since. I've laid her sorrow at the foot of the cross. I am reminded that friendship isn't limited by proximity or time....It's there when you need it.

Authentic friendship isn't perfect, in fact, it's likely to be flawed. But if the Son is in the center, doesn't He purify our multiple imperfections? Isn't that reassuring.

But there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.  Proverbs 18:24

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.  John 15:13

Don't forget...  read Ann Voskamp's article!

1 comment:

  1. When ever I think about friendship, I think of your dad's words. They've stuck with me for a lifetime.

    I read the article and saw Ann Voskamp's picture. I thought she would be older for someone so wise.

    ReplyDelete